There’s a lot of information out there about industrial wind turbines and wind energy in general. Here we’ve gathered links to some helpful sources. Check back often — we’ll be continually updating this page as we gather more.
- This link will take you to Interstate Informed Citizens Coalition, an extremely informative site that provides a uniquely Michigan approach to the issues we are facing.
- Here’s a 2012 study from an appraisal firm in Ontario which shows the negative effect on “dwelling property” values in an Ontario wind farm.
- This is a link to an article published by Manhattan Institute for Policy Research that discusses the real cost of wind subsidies to taxpayers.
- Here’s a list of sample questions for Duke Energy.
- Write letters to the editors of your local paper and let them know where you stand! Here’s contact information for local and regional newspapers.
- Many communities across the country have been going through something similar to Reading Township. Here’s some helpful information on what to do if your community is targeted.
- If you missed the Reading Township Board meeting on February 14, here’s a link to video of the meeting.
- This letter from Milt Howard, Vice President – Wind Energy, Duke Energy Generation Systems, was read at the meeting by Tom Terrian. Duke Letter Page 1 Duke Letter Page 2
- Our handout from the February 14 Township Board meeting illustrating crucial information regarding noise levels and other impacts on the community.
- This map shows the FAA permit locations of 43 possible turbines in the Township.This is FAA data showing where permits have been applied for by the developer. The landowners may or may not know that permits have been applied for. We handed out this map at the February 14 Township Board meeting.
- Where can the turbines be built? Here’s a map showing the current wind turbine overlay. It’s the area shaded hot pink.
- A video compilation from various sources detailing the many effects of wind power on communities with industrial wind turbine installations
- Windfall: The Documentary. Documentary feature that recently screened at Sundance. There are also many helpful links at this site. You’ll find more information about Windfall here.
- New York Times article discussing Windfall: The Documentary
- Laura Israel, director of the film Windfall, and cartoonist Lynda Berry discuss wind turbines on NPR’s Leonard Lopate show.
- There are many groups in Michigan and around the country that are facing the same issues as Reading Township. In Benzie County, a community in the Northern Lower Peninsula, they’ve formed a group called Citizens for Responsible Wind Development. You’ll find plenty of helpful information on their site as well.
- Wind Watch is dedicated to providing information about industrial wind energy and the huge multinational corporations that serve to profit from it.
- Here is Duke Energy’s website for the Hillsdale Windpower project